[vtkusers] ATTN: Deprecating support for setup.py in VTK 6.0 -- any volunteers?

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 13:27:39 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Utkarsh Ayachit
<utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Following major changes to VTK's CMake file in recent months, one
> thing that has remained to be updated is setup.py. At this point, we
> don't have the resources to update it. If there are any volunteers in
> the community that would like to  take that task over, that's great!
> Otherwise, we are planning on deprecating setup.py for installing VTK
> python modules in VTK 6.0.
>
> This may or may not affect package maintainers for various Linux distributions.
>
> Utkarsh
> (for VTK team)

I'm in favor of deprecating setup.py, because I think that cmake itself
can do a better job of the install (and a cmake solution will be easier
for most vtk developers to maintain than the current setup.py solution).

Is there someone familiar with VTK on debian and/or redhat who can
provide detailed info about where the various pieces should be installed?
Even that would be a help.

 - David