[vtkusers] Module auto-initialization problem

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Wed Aug 29 10:45:02 EDT 2012

Hi David,

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM, David Thompson
<david.thompson at kitware.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to use vtkMathText in an application (which happens to be ParaView, but I'm not sure that matters) and have added the vtkRenderingMathText and vtkRenderingMatplotlib kits as dependencies to the executable. However, the auto-init function that registers the vtkObjectFactory overrides (so that matplotlib's subclass of the vtkMathTextUtilities class is created by default) at startup is not being called, unlike the corresponding auto-init for vtkRenderingOpenGL.
>
> Is there something else I need to do beyond linking? The build of VTK that the application links against generates a vtkRenderingMatplotlibCxxTests executable that behaves properly, so the module itself appears to be functioning properly.

It would be useful to see the verbose compiler invocation with the
defines CMake is passing through - that is where we would should see
the autoinit stuff working. I know David Lonie is working on this,
perhaps he has already hit this issue? I can help debug the autoinit
stuff if that doesn't seem to be working.

Thanks,

Marcus