[vtkusers] Help with Vtk when rendering millions of points

ikatz ikatzbilb at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 6 07:08:07 EDT 2012

Hi,

I am quite newbie in VTK and have started working in a project where I have
a window based on VTK where different elements are loaded and displayed. The
display renders circles, spheres and (most importantly) clouds of points.
What I have been asked to do is to resolve some big problems regarding the
update speed and some errors regarding the amount of objects.

When you load a 10 million points point cloud (and before displaying it in
the window) it works fine but when you try to render all those elements in
the vtkRenderWindow (in the Display mentioned before) it fails or (depending
on the computer) takes a lot of time.

I wanted to know if this is normal when working with so many objects or if
there is a way of doing it faster. I have read that the vtkRenderWindow
could work with many layers (in our program it works with 2), using more
layers could make it work better?

As you may see I am a little bit lost so any help or tip would be so
appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!