[vtkusers] Clipping and vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper

Paul Scully Paul.Scully at Renishaw.com
Wed Sep 21 03:45:25 EDT 2011

Hi, Andi.

I’ve also come across this problem, and refer you to this:  http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/My-investigation-results-on-the-three-vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper-bugs-Please-read-td2473032.html

The clip-plane problem is addressed in the first section.  I modified my VTK (5.8) source as per the fix, and found it to be good.  Whether these three fixes are correct, and if so when will be available in VTK releases proper, is another issue =)

PaulScully

From: vtkusers-bounces at vtk.org [mailto:vtkusers-bounces at vtk.org] On Behalf Of Andreas Bruening
Sent: 05 September 2011 17:20
To: vtkusers at vtk.org
Subject: [vtkusers] Clipping and vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper

Hi all,

there is a strange behaviour when I put some clipplanes into my volumerendering scene. In my program I perform GPU accelerated volumerendering of medical data using vtkGPUVolumeRaycastMapper. I want to add some clipplanes to see what is inside a volume. It is often that the clipplanes clip wrong. The behaviour is similar to the bug reported here:

http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=12377 <http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=12377>

The mathematics in my code is correct. Origin and normal vector are set correct. When I change the mapper to vtkFixedPointVolumeRaycastMapper everything works fine. And the wrong clipping occurs when I use vtkInteractorStyleTrackballCamera and also when don’t use vtkInteractorStyleTrackballCamera and calculate the cameraposition by my own.

Also I figured out that the wrong clipping occurs only when the clipplane normal is not orthogonal and it occurs always when the origin is (0, 0, 0).

Is somebody already working on it or does anyone know a workaround?

Thanks in advance

Andi

This email and any attachments are confidential and are for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you must not use or disclose the contents to any other person. Please immediately notify the sender and delete the email. Statements and opinions expressed here may not represent those of the company. Email correspondence is monitored by the company. This information may be subject to export control regulation. You are obliged to comply with such regulations.

Renishaw plc (company number 1106260), Wotton Travel Limited (company number 01973158), PulseTeq Limited (company number 4392865) and Renishaw Advanced Materials Limited (company number 04632041), are companies registered in England and Wales with a registered office at New Mills, Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire, GL12 8JR, United Kingdom, Telephone +44 1453 524524.