[vtkusers] Enable/Disable Offscreen rendering

Malsoaz James jmalsoaz at yahoo.fr
Mon Sep 19 04:35:34 EDT 2011

Hi vtk users,

I'm writing to get a piece of information about VTK
 Offscreen options. I have a quite big project with VTK rendering using
QVTKWidget. It works great. Now, I would like to take screenshots of my
user interface during the execution for automatic test purposes.
Unfortunately, this is not working, all vtk scenes appear empty on the
saved images.

I read few lines about a VTK option called
offscreen. It's available in the CMake configuration. I tested it and it
 worked great. Unfortunately, with the option checked, I couldn't have
"classic" rendering, only offscreen.

So, here comes my question :
Is
 there a way to enable/disable easily the offscreen configuration in the
 code ? Indeed, I would like to avoid to have 2 vtk installation on my
computer : one using offscreen, the other one using
 classic rendering.

I have been trying to call SetOffscreenOn/Off
 on the RenderWindow before the first render but it didn't work. With
the option set to On, I still had empty scenes in my screenshots and no
classic rendering. Don't understand why.

I thank you for your help.
Best.
James.