[vtkusers] Using VTK for animating meshes per-vertex

Eelco Hoogendoorn e.hoogendoorn at uva.nl
Fri Sep 16 04:23:23 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the feasibility of VTK for my project. The
project im working requires me to render about a hundered or so meshes, each
with around ten thousand vertices. That is not such a big deal, but every
single vertex will need to be repositioned every single frame; i dont mean
an affine transform of the actor, but an arbitrary repositioning.

That means sending huge amounts of data to the GPU each frame (actually,
this data is generated on the GPU, but lets not get ahead of ourselves),
which is always going to be a bottleneck. However, depending on the options
implemented/given by VTK this could be tolerably or intolerably slow.

I did some testing from mayavi, updating the vertices of a 3d line plot with
20000 points around ten times per second, and that pretty much brought my
spiffy computer to its knees, which confirms my worst fears. I was not
regenerating the pipeline; just setting the source data, which supposedly is
recommended mayavi/mlab best practice.

Is there any way to efficiently copy large amounts of vertex data per frame
to the GPU in VTK, or should I look at another solution? It would be a real
shame to have to let go of all that VTK and the surrounding python tools
provide.