[vtkusers] Can VTK handle 1GB data?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 12:47:20 EDT 2011

> Is it possible to load 1GB of data (xyz points or say point cloud) into VTK
> and then extract contours from it? I am running my application on Windows
> 2003 server with 4GB RAM. Any suggestions or solutions are welcomed.

Most likely not in a 32 bit windows operating system. Since you will
be very limited due to address space fragmentation. Remember with the
default 2GB per process limit (regardless of the ram you have) of 32
bit windows gives you about 1.2 GB maximum single allocation.
However like Michael Jackson said it will work fine if you have a 64
bit executable on a 64 bit OS.

John