[vtkusers] Can VTK handle 1GB data?

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Mon Sep 12 11:06:50 EDT 2011

VTK can definitely handle that much data. The question becomes can your system handle it? The first requirements (at least in a practical sense) is that the VTK you are using is compiled in 64 bit mode and you are running on a 64 Bit operating system. After those are taken care of with only 4 GB of RAM you can load it but not sure what else you can do with it. You might be able to get a few iterations of a filter but you will soon run out of RAM.

 Hope that helps.

Just FYI. I have personally seen VTK handle a pipeline that used about 25 GB of RAM.
Mike Jackson                      www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer       mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
BlueQuartz Software               Dayton, Ohio