[vtkusers] Build VTK 5.8 with TCL wrap on on MacOS X 10.6.7

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 11:59:09 EDT 2011

Hi Rick,

Apple's tcl comes installed on OS X 10.6, they provide two versions of
tcl side-by-side... tcl 8.4 (Carbon) and tcl 8.5 (Cocoa).  The default
is tcl 8.5.

To build VTK with the default Tcl, all of your TK and TCL CMake
variables should point to the default system frameworks for Tcl/Tk:

TK_INCLUDE_PATH:PATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Headers

If these variables point to somewhere in /Library instead of
/System/Library then you are using a third-party Tcl instead of
Apple's Tcl.

The ActiveState Tcl 8.5 package is Carbon. Do not use it.  Stick with
the Tcl/Tk that come with OS X.  CMake will find the system Tcl/Tk
frameworks automatically if you have XCode installed.

 - David