[vtkusers] [vtk-developers] Bug in vtkImageMapToColors

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Mon May 9 14:33:10 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Nicolas Rannou <
Nicolas_Rannou at hms.harvard.edu> wrote:

> On May 9, 2011, at 1:50 PM, David Gobbi wrote:
>
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> If you provide the new text that you would like to see in the
> documentation, I can modify the file and commit the change.
>
>  - David
>

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Nicolas Rannou <
> Nicolas_Rannou at hms.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
>> Thanks David,
>>
>> yes such a feature to get the scalar range over all the components would
>> be nice.
>> Maybe we should also update the documentation (
>> http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkDataSet.html#a9c8f06877f41b3e1944f2d10281083a6
>> ).
>>

> What about:
>

>>  virtual void vtkDataSet::GetScalarRange(double *range*[2])[virtual]
>>
>> Convenience method to get the range of the scalar data (if there is any
>> scalar data). Returns the (min/max) range of combined point and cell data first
>> component (if the dataset attributes have multiple components). If there
>> are no point or cell scalars the method will return (0,1). Note: Update
>> needs to be called to create the scalars. THIS METHOD IS THREAD SAFE IF
>> FIRST CALLED FROM A SINGLE THREAD AND THE DATASET IS NOT MODIFIED

I don't know if people read that far when the read documentation...  I'd put
it closer to the front:

Convenience method to get the range of the first component (and only the
first component) of any scalars in the data set.  If the data has both point
data and cell data, it returns the (min/max) range of combined point and
cell data.  If there are no point or cell scalars the method will return
(0,1).  Note: It might be necessary to call Update to create or refresh the