[vtkusers] new VTK releases?

nclemeur nclemeur at gmail.com
Wed May 4 19:03:50 EDT 2011

David Partyka wrote:

> We are waiting for a few additional Widget improvements to be completed
> for
> the release. The 'release' branch in the VTK repo (git checkout release)
> is
> what will be released as 5.8.

Thank you David, this was exactly the information I was after.

David Partyka wrote:

> As for Chart improvements, if there are features/bug fixes on master that
> or
> not on the release branch let us know and Marcus can decide if/what may be
> ported.

I had a look and I think I should be fine with the code currently in the
Release branch. I would however appreciate if you could incorporate commit
fcf14beddc9c74945c2d ( http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=12025 BUG: #12025
) as it has definitely an impact for me.

Note for Marcus, I am not sure if I need to reopen this bug, but there is an
overloaded version of vtkFreeTypeStringToImage::GetBounds that suffer from
the exact same problem as described in the
http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=12025 BUG: #12025 . And yes I can confirm
that the Chart was disappearing because of this bugs, not because there were
no plots. Stepping into the code, I could seed that the axes were taking way
to much space on the screen, because of these unitialised values. I tried to
reproduce it an example, but I was not able to do it easily. So I am not
sure if this is because I am using vtk within wxWidgets. But correcting this
problem made everything work again and therefore did not investigate much
further.

Thank you,

Nicolas