[vtkusers] Smoothing VTK mesh

Jothy jothybasu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 06:57:05 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I have generated a mesh from DICOM RT Structure set, but the mesh
looks too dense and the mesh has a step-like variation in the
cranio-caudal direction (because of the finite slice thickness in the
CT images used). I am using the pipeline as shown below

vtkPolyData--->vtkPolyDataToImageStencil--->vtkImageStencil--->vtkMarchingCubes
(I am using vtkLinearExtrusionFilter to extrude as well)

Now, I looked into the src code of ITK snap which uses
vtkImageSmoothgaussian, vtkDecimatePro and vtkSmoothPolyDataFilter ,
but I am bit confused in using the right filter at the tight stage in
the process.

Any directions?

Thank you

Jothy