[vtkusers] Interpolation between two contours

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 01:28:56 EDT 2011

Hi Markus,

Converting the contours to binary images as part of your solution will
really increase the computational cost, so I would suggest not taking
that approach.

You should try parameterizing the contours with splines (two splines
per contour, one for x vs. t and one for y vs. t, where t is the
parameter).  The parameter can either be the fractional distance
around the contour, or it can be an angle using the center of the
contour as a reference point.  Then, to interpolate, do a for-loop
where you take small steps in t (the parameter value) and compute
the (x,y) points for each of the two contours. Interpolate between
these (x,y) points to create your interpolated contour.

 - David