[vtkusers] volume visualization

ioana vasilescu ioanav88 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 25 14:12:52 EDT 2011

Hi, everyone!
I'm working on a brain tumor segmentation project, and I could use some help. My
tasks are:
1. Read  DICOM series of 2D images ( MRI )2. Transform 2D into volume
3. Visualize volume both as orthogonal slices and as a whole ( using different
colours and/or levels of transparacy to differentiate different parts of the
cranium).
4. Perform a segmentation on the brain tumor using seed points in the slices and
visualize the 3D tumor.
So far, using LiverTumorSegmentation as a model I have made a GUI with fltk and
managed to transform the 2d Dicoms into a volume ( .mhd, .raw) and show the
slices( using ImageSliceViewer). Somehow the slices appear very blury and noisy,
but visualizing the same volume with another application shows that the volume
is ok. That would be one issue, and the other one is that I don't understand how
to view the 3D brain.
Any suggestion is welcomed. Thank you very much!

Ioana