[vtkusers] Problem Installing VTK on RHEL v6 with ATI graphics card

sankhesh jhaveri sankyscorpio at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 17:03:00 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am trying to install VTK on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 with an ATI
graphics card. I have installed the graphics card drivers and glxinfo gives
me a value of 1 for 'direct rendering'. I am assuming it means OpenGL is
installed correctly. The ATI Catalyst shows that the OpenGL version is
3.3.10750 Compatibility Profile Context.

First of all, running CMake on VTK gave me an error that it cannot read *
/usr/include/GL/glx.h*. I checked and found that I have glxATI.h and glATI.h
instead of glx.h and gl.h respectively. Hence, I created symbolic links to
the respective files. This got rid of the CMake error but when building VTK
I get a bunch of errors:

*********************************************************************************************************************
 Building CXX object
Utilities/ftgl/CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp.o
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp: In
member function ‘void FTBitmapGlyph::RenderOpenGL(const FT_Vector&, const
FTGLRenderContext*)’:
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:15:
error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:15:
error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:15:
error: expected primary-expression before ‘const’
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:15:
error: expected ‘)’ before ‘const’
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:17:
error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:17:
error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:17:
error: expected primary-expression before ‘const’
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:17:
error: expected ‘)’ before ‘const’
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:20:
error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:20:
error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:20:
error: expected primary-expression before ‘const’
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:20:
error: expected ‘)’ before ‘const’
gmake[2]: ***
[Utilities/ftgl/CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp.o]
Error 1
gmake[1]: *** [Utilities/ftgl/CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/all] Error 2
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

Please let me know what is the problem. Has anyone faced a similar problem
and is there another workaround to this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sankhesh