[vtkusers] Problem Installing vtk on RHEL 6 with ATI graphics card

sankhesh jhaveri sankyscorpio at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 16:55:03 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am trying to install VTK on Red Hat Linux v6 with an ATI graphics card.
I have the ATI drivers installed and glxinfo gives me a value of 1 for
"direct rendering". The ATI Catalyst shows that I have OpenGL version -
3.3.10750 Compatibility Profile Context.

First of all, running CMake on VTK gave me an error that
/usr/include/GL/glx.h could not be read. I checked and found that I have
glxATI.h and glATI.h instead of glx.h and gl.h respectively. I created
symbolic links respectively which got rid of the CMake error. However, when
I tried to build VTK, it gave me a bunch of errors:

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Building CXX object
Utilities/ftgl/CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp.o
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp: In
member function ‘void FTBitmapGlyph::RenderOpenGL(const FT_Vector&, const
FTGLRenderContext*)’:
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:15:
error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:15:
error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:15:
error: expected primary-expression before ‘const’
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:15:
error: expected ‘)’ before ‘const’
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:17:
error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:17:
error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:17:
error: expected primary-expression before ‘const’
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:17:
error: expected ‘)’ before ‘const’
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:20:
error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:20:
error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘type name’ with no type
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:20:
error: expected primary-expression before ‘const’
/no_backup/VTK/Source/Utilities/ftgl/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp:20:
error: expected ‘)’ before ‘const’
gmake[2]: ***
[Utilities/ftgl/CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTBitmapGlyphRenderOpenGL.cpp.o]
Error 1
gmake[1]: *** [Utilities/ftgl/CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/all] Error 2
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

Please tell me if there is another workaround to installing VTK with ATI
OpenGL drivers.

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated.

Sankhesh