[vtkusers] lack of info on vtkobject....

pratik pratik.mallya.ml at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 21:12:08 EDT 2011

Hi everyone,
Can anyone please tell me what the SetInputArraytoProcess method does?
In particular, I was confused about the 'idx' value that it uses...what
does that stand for? I believed that the input/output interface to
vtkobjects consisted of:
1) ports and
2) connections
so what is this "idx array" referring to exactly?

  The man page left me quite confused:
  // Set the input data arrays that this algorithm will
   // process. Specifically the idx array that this algorithm will process
(what is idx array?)
   // (starting from 0) is the array on port, connection with the specified
   // association and name or attribute type (such as SCALARS).
(what do these last two sentences mean? In particular what does  "array
on port" mean? Is it the "connections"? )
    // The
   // fieldAssociation refers to which field in the data object the array is
   // stored. See vtkDataObject::FieldAssociations for detail.

Also, just out of curiosity, if there is no documentation for these
methods , then how are developers using them?

Thanks in advance,
Pratik