[vtkusers] help with finding a surface

nuno.jf nunofernandes7 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 14:48:40 EDT 2011

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.
Well, I have a 3D image (I generated using itkImage class) that contains
some scalars. The input to this image is a set of points that come from
several point clouds aligned using ICP.
Going back to the problem: I used a 3D SL scanner to capture the surface of
a skull. So, I was supposed to get, in the end, a thin narrow surface.
Instead, I got the following:
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n4492238/problem.png
As you can see, I have an inside surface and outside surface, and between
those two surfaces, I have several dispersed scalars. Using the contouring
option in paraview, I was able the generate isosurfaces manually by choosing
a value (the image's value range is [0, 192]).

By setting the value to 1, paraview generates isosurfaces through each voxel
where I have, ate least, 1 scalar. The result is the following:
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n4492238/1.png

By making some experiences, I find that, by selecting 30 scalars I would get
an average result:
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n4492238/30.png

So, my goal is to find some vtk class that reads my image, and automatically
creates a narrow surface (the black line, instead of the bad surface I
have):
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n4492238/objective.png

1- The class should select automatically the scalars between the inside and
outside surfaces and remove the remaining scalars.
2- Then I would need to create the isosurfaces.
Does vtk have some class to do this?
Thank you very much! =)
My best regards,
Nuno