[vtkusers] help with finding a surface

Jérôme jerome.velut at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 16:28:10 EDT 2011

Hi,
Don't worry about the grey and blue : what I meant is that I understood that
you have a volume (vtkImageData) that contains some scalars (tell me if I am
wrong). The way it is rendered (grey, blue, or what you want) is not
important.

In your case, the surface does not lie on a constant value and this is why,
effectively, marching cube is not the direct solution. An idea would be to
use vtkThreshold (not vtkImageThreshold!) in order to keep the points that
have a value higher than a chosen one (your maxima). Then try a delaunay
triangulation, in order to reconstruct the surface. If delaunay is not
efficient enough, you may find some surface reconstruction filters on the
Midas VTK journal.

If you can share your data, maybe I could take a look.

Best regards,
Jerome