[vtkusers] add a vertex attrib

youpie meriadegp at yahoo.fr
Wed Jun 1 03:38:59 EDT 2011

I finally find how to do and it is very easy :

create a vtkDoubleArray (for example) and set the number of composent into
it (like 3 for example).
give it a name with SetName
Use the method MapDataArrayToVertexAttribute("nameofthevariable",
"vtkDoubleArray->GetName()", vtkDataObject::FIELD_ASSOCIATION_POINTS, -1).

after that, use it in the shader :

attribute vec3 nameofthevariable;

We use vec3 the because we set 3 for the numberOfComposent of the
vtkDoubleArray and that is possible too because we set -1 as a parameter of
the mapper method. I don't know why, but if I choose 3 instead of -1, I have
a little rendering error.

And the tag vtkDataObject::FIELD_ASSOCIATION_POINTS is to set on vec3 per
vertex.