[vtkusers] hardware accelerated offscreen rendering without diplaying window

Peter Schiemann p.schiemann70 at web.de
Tue Jul 26 08:46:30 EDT 2011

Hello Victor,
with VTK you only have the choice of either accelerated rendering on a physical display or software rendering which can be off screen. There has been no attempt to support pure off screen with hardware support for several years. As you say, the best alternative is Visit. What you need works out of the box.
If you need a solution in VTK, study the class vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx and find out why it pops up an unnecessary window although set to offscreen. I was told it is not difficult, but I am not familiar with X windows programming.

Good luck!
Peter