[vtkusers] Trouble modifying vtkIterativeClosestPointTransform

Laurent l.paul at uclouvain.be
Tue Jul 19 09:40:20 EDT 2011

Hi David,

Did yo find the clue to your problem?
I would like to improve that algo too because it doesn't behave as I
expected.
It produces bad results while its MeanDistance is very low....
I mean that visually, the result is bad, and I have checked using a
PointLocator that confirms the distance observed seen on screen.

I get this bad result when I dramatically initialize the source far away
from the target. I have to check if there is no local minima in my shape, so
I perform 12 ICP's starting from different initializations.
If I try using a rotation of 120°, I get a bad result (Max distance from
PointLocator is 15 mm) while MeanDistance is les than 0.01mm RMS.
How is it possible?
And what is the capture radius, or in other words, what is the maximum range
for init rotation angle?

Thanks for your help,
Laurent.