[vtkusers] Announcement: New image rendering classes for VTK

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 18:25:54 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 2:50 PM, EvilMax <maxim.privalov at gmail.com> wrote:

> A few questions about this.
> 1. Has vtkImageResliceMapper support exttracting slices and placing them
> where they are in original space? I.e. for achieving following goal: get
> uniform coordinates for 3D view and reference views, so pointing to any
> coordinate on one reference view could be mapped easily to other. I created
> this manualy, but maybe it could be done more easily from now?

Yes, that is how they work.  The data is mapped to the screen through
the vtkProp3D transform matrix, and if the matrix is identity, then data
coords == world coords.  Even when you are extracting slices.

> 2. How stable is development tree comparing to VTK 5.6.1 release? Release
> has some annoying bugs or feature lacks, so question is 'to be or not to
> be?' applyng to switching project to VTK development tree.

That depends on your definition of "stable".  If you are asking whether
the VTK development tree has more bugs, then no, generally it does not.
VTK testing is done continuously by the dashboards.  However, unlike
the releases, the development tree does not guarantee a stable API.
Developers are free to changed their minds about class interfaces or
features in the development tree up until the time that the API is frozen
by a release.

 - David