[vtkusers] Urgent help----Read dicom series, and output triangle mesh, and then output tetrahedral mesh

smallping smallping_hit at yahoo.com.cn
Wed Jul 6 13:49:51 EDT 2011

Hi, all

I am new with ITK and VTK, and I need help from you.

What I want to do is mainly as the following:
1) Read image data from a series of dicom files.
2) Convert the image data to the triangle mesh data.
3) Then generate the tetrahedral mesh from the triangle mesh for volumetric
model
4) Save the tetrahedral mesh as *.vtk.

I have read the following post:
http://itk-insight-users.2283740.n2.nabble.com/Problem-with-conversion-dicom-gt-vtk-file-td6041275.html#none
and read the examples:
DicomSeriesReadImageWrite2.cxx, itkReadITKImage3DSegmentShowVTK.cxx.

When I run the itkReadITKImage3DSegmentShowVTK.cxx example, I can Save the
surface to a .vtk file using the vtkPolyDataWriter. But this surface file
does not seem like a triangle mesh file, it is like the following:

# vtk DataFile Version 3.0
vtk output
ASCII
DATASET POLYDATA
POINTS 6005 float
121 17.502 0 115 18.502 0 116 18.502 0
117 18.502 0 118 18.502 0 119 18.502 0
120.502 18 0 120 18.502 0 121.498 18 0
122 18.502 0 123 18.502 0 124 18.502 0
125 18.502 0 126 18.502 0 127 18.502 0
128 18.502 0 103 19.502 0 104 19.502 0
105 19.502 0 106 19.502 0 107 19.502 0
108 19.502 0 109 19.502 0 110 19.502 0
111 19.502 0 112 19.502 0 113 19.502 0
114.502 19 0 114 19.502 0 118 19.498 0
119 19.498 0 120 19.498 0 121 19.498 0
123 19.498 0 128.498 19 0 129 19.502 0
130 19.502 0 131 19.502 0 132 19.502 0
133 19.502 0 134 19.502 0 135 19.502 0
102.502 20 0 107 20.498 0 108 20.498 0
109 20.498 0 110 20.498 0 111 20.498 0
112 20.498 0 113 20.498 0 114 20.498 0
115 20.498 0 116 20.498 0 117.498 20 0

What is this file mean? It is a triangle mesh data or not?

And more, Can somebody help me to give some idea about how to generate the
triangle mesh data from dicom series, and then generate tetrahedral mesh
file for volumetric modeling?