[vtkusers] GPU Volume Rendering / Cuda

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Mon Jan 31 11:34:45 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:15 PM, endlosschleife <
endlosschleife1 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I would like to pick up on an older thread regarding VTK and CUDA, or more
> specifically the vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper and CUDA. I'm very much a
> beginner when it comes to GPU programming, but from having a look at the
> implementation of that class it looks like the vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper is
> based on fragment shaders.

That's right. No CUDA here.

> To what extent does a CUDA enabled graphics board
> actually help there, and is anybody aware of any initiatives to provide an
> actually CUDA-based implementation for VTK volume ray casting?

Benjamin Grauer added that a CUDA volume renderer to 3D Slicer. Its inactive
at the moment and does not support certain features. You can see more on
this wiki page :
http://wiki.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/2008_Winter_Project_Week_VolumeRenderingUsingCuda
.