[vtkusers] GPU Volume Rendering / Cuda

endlosschleife endlosschleife1 at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 31 10:45:03 EST 2011

I would like to pick up on an older thread regarding VTK and CUDA, or more
specifically the vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper and CUDA. I'm very much a
beginner when it comes to GPU programming, but from having a look at the
implementation of that class it looks like the vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper is
based on fragment shaders. To what extent does a CUDA enabled graphics board
actually help there, and is anybody aware of any initiatives to provide an
actually CUDA-based implementation for VTK volume ray casting?

Btw, I found the information about the memory properties very helpful.

Thanks,
Mark