[vtkusers] Graph visualization features in VTK

Jeff Baumes jeff.baumes at kitware.com
Wed Jan 19 09:53:31 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Steffen Oeltze <
stoeltze at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:

> DearAll,
>
> I plan to evaluate VTK for graph visualization and I wonder whether it
> provides the features listed below.
> For some features, I already found information online.
>
> - handle ~100 vertices and ~10000 edges (ok)
> - circular layout strategy (ok)
> - edge bundling (ok)
> - vertex/edge labeling (ok)
>
> - interactive selection of multiple vertices and edges by picking (???)

Yes. See for example Views/Testing/Cxx/TestGraphLayoutView.cxx (run
"bin/ViewsCxxTests TestGraphLayoutView -I") with VTK testing on). If you
want to do something with the selection you need to implement a callback.

> - modifying the edge thickness/width according to some edge weight (???)

Not currently possible. To stress certain edges I normally use a color map
for edges that changes their opacity based on the weight.

> - filtering vertices according to their degree (???)

Yes. Use vtkVertexDegree followed by vtkThresholdGraph.

> - filtering edges according to their weight (???)

Yes, again vtkThresholdGraph.

> - fast update when the set of vertices remains fixed but the set of
> connecting edges changes (???)

Depends what you mean by fast. If you add them via VTK's pipeline, the
topology structure and edge data arrays would be copied for any change,
while the vertex data arrays would remain the same. If you perform "out of
band" processing, where you directly manipulate the graph data structure
outside the pipeline, it would be faster and would have less memory
overhead.

Jeff