[vtkusers] file format for transient analysis

David Thompson dcthomp at sandia.gov
Wed Jan 12 15:53:36 EST 2011

Hi John and Alejandro,

> ... I don't think the VTK xml format can do what you're looking for.
> The exodus format may work for you -- but that may depend upon the
> type of analysis you are doing.  I know that exodus works well for
> structural, thermal and perhaps some other kinds of physics.  There
> are also definitely people who are far more knowledgeable on this
> topic than me.

The exodus file format will work for unstructured grids as long as the
mesh connectivity does not change over time. The nodes may be
displaced, but elements cannot be created or destroyed over time in
the same Exodus file. If you do occasional refinement, then you can
write a series of Exodus files and they will be treated as a single
time series.

Another option is the Ensight file format. I know it allows time-
series but don't know about how/whether it handles changes in mesh
topology over time.

	David