[vtkusers] xray projection question

Mark Roden mmroden at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 12:19:21 EST 2011

Hi all,

Second question (I like to have distinct posts for each question,
better chance of getting an answer):
How can I take an average along a ray when doing ray cast rendering?

The version of the code that I posted previously working in Java and
vtk 5.6.1 is using a color mapping scheme, opacity, and the like.
Instead of mapping specific values to colors, is there a way to
produce an average intensity projection (or, better yet, calculate the
attenuation along the line as if the ray that's cast is a stream of
photons that are being attenuated by bone, tissue, etc, such that the
final value for a particular ray is the attenuation along the ray)?

I notice that there's a MIP projection class, but I don't see how to
easily (in java, at least) have a x-ray style projection of the type I
just described.

Thanks!
Mark