[vtkusers] Issues with pixelation in volume render

Jim Geach jimgeach at physics.mcgill.ca
Mon Dec 5 10:15:23 EST 2011

Dear all,

I'm volume rendering some large data cubes (using a FixedPointVolumeMapper, Composite mode), and getting an unsatisfactory pixelation effect in some part of the images that are obtained via RenderLargeImage (we want images that are larger than the device size).

I attach an example of the sort of effect I'm talking about, and wondered if anyone knew why this is happening, and if there is a way to fix it.

I must add that I'm guessing its something to do with the camera parameters I'm using - for various reasons I want to use a wide camera angle, with:

cam.SetViewAngle(60)
cam.UseHorizontalViewAngleOn()

I'm wondering if the problems with the images have something to do with distortion introduced in the rendering because of this. The pixelation doesn't affect the whole image however.

Best, Jim