[vtkusers] vtkImageData to 3D CArray

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 13:26:35 EDT 2011

> I have only 2GB RAM on win XP. I will try on the other computer with higher
> RAM.

That probably will not help much unless you use the /3GB boot switch
and recompile everything to support LARGEADDRESSAWARE or much simpler
switch to 64 bit os, compiler and application. Under 32 bit windows
the default maximum contiguous address space for an application is
around 1.2GB regardless of the amount of ram you have. This is due to
memory fragmentation and where windows places the dlls in the 2GB of
address space it allocates for your process. With the /3GB boot switch
and the LARGEADDRESSAWARE linker switch you can increase your
application address space to 3GB (again system ram does not matter)
but this requires your code and vtk (and all libraries) to be
recompiled to support the larger address space. Even then there will
be a limit due to fragmentation that may require that you rebase some
of your windows dlls.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/windowssdk/thread/E65E5454-A35C-4DFD-9532-9284460310E1

I used the /3GB switch and rebasing dlls for some time back in 2008
for processing lung CT with 0.625mm slices however it was more
certainly more difficult than using 64 bit os .. that I do now.

John