[vtkusers] KDTree timing demo

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 12:28:10 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Andy Bauer <andy.bauer at kitware.com> wrote:

> You may want to break up the timing into the cost of building the tree and
> the time to do the searches.  I'm not sure a 1000 searches is enough to see
> that much of a difference

The octree demo:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/DataStructures/OctreeTimingDemo shows
a nice trend with only 1k trials. I also tried with 10k and the result is no
better.

> Also, at some point there will only be 1 point per kdtree bin in which case
> refining the kdtree more is useless.

Yes, this is exactly what I am trying to see :) In the octree demo, there is
a decay in runtime and then it is very flat after a point (this is where you
should set the tree/hopefully the automatic parameters end up here). With
the KDTree the runtime doesn't seem to vary in a sane way with the depth of
the tree.

David