[vtkusers] vtk Build for Visual Studio

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 11:14:29 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Bob Palank <bob at stlcc.org> wrote:
> Unfortunately, there is no bin/Release folder. The bin/Debug probably
> contains all of the .lib files I need.  So I am left with no dll files 8-(
>
> My current operating environment (vtk50) has  include, Lib and a bin folder.
> I copied all the dlls from my bin folder to my system32 folder.
> I explicitly reference all my includes and
> access the libs via pragmas (e.g.  #pragma comment(lib,
> "d:\\vtk560\\Lib\\vtkRendering.lib")
> which seems to work fine for me for vtk 50.
>
> I'd like to set up the same environment for 5.6.0
> So as of now, I have all the includes, probably all the libs, but no dlls.
> TIA for your attention and assistance.
> Bob

When you configure vtk using cmake-gui you need to enable
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS then generate and then build. For this I open a
visual studio command prompt for the compiler I use and then cd to the
build folder and type

vcbuild /M8

8 being the number of cores to build on.This way the process goes much faster.

John