[vtkusers] package generation without TCL

Benoit Bleuze Benoit.Bleuze at inria.fr
Tue Sep 28 04:32:51 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I am trying to add VTK to an application on various platforms, and I use
Cpack to generate stand alone VTK packages that we will ship with our
software.

However, I have a problem with the package generation: if there is no
TCL wrapping enabled, the CMake files don't define any CPACK variables
(taken from VTKCPack.cmake):

# For now, only build the CPack installer if vtk(.exe) will be available
for
   # installation:
   #
   IF(VTK_WRAP_TCL)
     SET(CPACK_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION_SUMMARY "VTK - The Visualization
Toolkit")
     [...]

Why is package generation  limited to the presence of the VTK_WRAP_TCL
flag? and I guess from the comment in the file, why only when there is
the vtk executable file? Library packages are more than common, so what
is the reasoning behind this? And as a corollary, what about removing
this limitation?

Best Regards,
Ben