[vtkusers] How to visualize thousands of actors with good performance

Jim Peterson jimcp at cox.net
Mon Sep 27 06:51:09 EDT 2010

Affolter Martin wrote:
> The scenes are quite simple. We visualize CAD-Models (Tools) showing faces, edges and vertices. All data is vtkPolyData, the pipeline looks like this:
>
> vtkPolyData -> vtkPolyDataMapper -> vtkActor
>
> We've already tried the FAQ hints for increasing performance with little success. If you have experienced the same or have a solution, maybe just a guess, please contact me. Thanks.

Martin,
So you have a pipeline that has one polyData, one mapper and one actor
per element in the display? can you describe what unique vtkActor
function you need to be able to apply to the individual elements? I am
assuming there is some interaction with the vtkActors that is the goal,
vtk also has objects for combining polydatas, and point, and cell
pickers to allow interaction at that level with the polydata from a
single actor.

thanks,
Jim