[vtkusers] How to visualize thousands of actors with good performance

Affolter Martin martin.affolter at ntb.ch
Mon Sep 27 03:03:02 EDT 2010

Hi vtkusers,

Does anybody use vtk 5.4 or above to visualize scenes with a large number of actors ( > 1000 or even > 10000 )? We used to do that in vtk 4.4 with a decent interacting performance (rotating, zooming, paning... ) and a reasonable amount of memory. However, with 5.4/5.6 we hardly achieve a usable result.

The scenes are quite simple. We visualize CAD-Models (Tools) showing faces, edges and vertices. All data is vtkPolyData, the pipeline looks like this:

vtkPolyData -> vtkPolyDataMapper -> vtkActor

We've already tried the FAQ hints for increasing performance with little success. If you have experienced the same or have a solution, maybe just a guess, please contact me. Thanks.

Regards,

Martin Affolter

Interstaatliche Hochschule für Technik Buchs NTB
Institut für Ingenieurinformatik
NTB Campus Waldau St.Gallen
Schönauweg 4 / Postfach
9013 St. Gallen