[vtkusers] VTK and MinGW on Windows 7

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 17:14:40 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Jim Peterson <jimcp at cox.net> wrote:

> That is the environmental assumption I hit exactly, the resultant libraries
> are Unix-ish, ie libvtkCommon... If you where hoping to get a library you
> could use from Java under Windows, Java does not find "vtkCommonJava.dll"
> because the Make from the windows command line produces
> "libvtkCommonJava.dll"

This is a problem that needs to be fixed.  There is no need for the
"lib" prefix on these modules, even in pure unix environments, much
less mingw and other unix-like environments.  They are only there
because old versions of CMake used to be unable to produce modules on
unix without adding "lib".  But that was fixed in CMake around 6 years
ago, so VTK should be updated.  Unless someone strongly objects, I
will go ahead and modify the VTK cmake files so that these prefixes
are removed, both for Java and for Python.

  David