[vtkusers] Beginner's install problem

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 16:47:56 EDT 2010

>     I downloaded the 5.6 Windows Installer from
> http://www.vtk.org/VTK/resources/software.html
>     but I can't find the include (and maybe lib) files to point my Visual Studio 2005 express to (for C++).  Where are they (such as <vtkSmartPointer.h>)?
>     Thanks,
>         Barney

I highly recommend that you use cmake to generate your project file
for your application. If you do not do that (although possible) it
will be a lot harder to work with vtk or any other kitware library.
The reason is cmake handles all of the compiler settings and paths for
you. If you do not use cmake you will have to manage dozens of include
and library paths and also make sure your compiler settings work with
vtk.

John