[vtkusers] How get DICOM image intensity?

Italo Ribeiro italo.ribeiro at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 05:15:36 EDT 2010

Hi Jim,

I have dicom image with teeth, i am looking intensity values of 2 front
teeth.

But some happen very strange, the tooth the left have greater intensity in
ITKsnap 2518 and my code -1024. The tooth the right side have in ITKsnap
2402 and in my code 41. I do not know why the values are different.

In my code i get 255 points of heigh and width, but when i get dimension the
image, vtk show 512 x 512, same dimesion show in ITKsnap. ITKsnap get
dimension of voxels, so i must get information the intensity value voxel of
volume and no pixel the image?

thanks.

2010/9/11 Jim Peterson <jimcp at cox.net>

> Personally, I am sorry, but there is not enough information in your
> description of the problem to be sure you have a legitimate complaint. does
> your dicom data consist of only one point? how are you certain you have
> selected the exact same location?
>
> in my mainframe programming life we have a saying:
>
> "when expected results do not match observed results, check the library
> concatenation"
>
> .... in my opinion, chances are you are looking at different points.
>
> sorry, Hoping to be helpful not critical.
> Jim
>
> Italo Ribeiro wrote:
>
>> No more ideas?
>>
>> 2010/9/10 Italo Ribeiro <italo.ribeiro at gmail.com <mailto:
>> italo.ribeiro at gmail.com>>
>>

>>    I am expecting MIP of image point. In my program the value for one
>>    point is 1023 and ITKsnap show 2210.
>>
>>    Why the value is different?
>>
>>    2010/9/10 John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com
>>    <mailto:drescherjm at gmail.com>>
>>

>>        > Using GetScalarType the type returned is short, i was using
>>        int. But the
>>        > value maximum showed is 1024 and i see the maximum short
>>        value is 32767 and
>>        > the intensity value is not corret.
>>        >

>>        Depending on how you read the dicom file the value should be in
>>        hounsfield units. I am confused on whether you mean you were
>>        expecting
>>        32767 or hounsfield.
>>
>>        John
>>

>>    --     Ítalo Mendes