[vtkusers] VTK Compiling with errors

Jonathan Morra jonmorra at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 12:33:49 EDT 2010

I'm attempting to compile VTK from source with the Java wrappers on in 64bit
Visual Studios 2008.  I've downloaded version 5.6.0 and ran CMake with the
following parameters:

BUILD_SHARED_LIBS
VTK_USE_N_WAY_ARRAYS
VTK_USE_RENDERING
VTK_WRAP_JAVA
I set all other flags off, also I changed the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to a
directory in My Documents.

The compilation did result in creating vtk.jar and some dlls, however 67
projects compiled successfully and 7 failed.  I tried to make a very simple
project in NetBeans 6.9.1 where I added the vtk.jar library and then set the
java path with -Djava.library.path="path/to/vtk/dlls" and then had the
following Java

import vtk.vtkSphereSource;
import vtk.vtkPolyDataMapper;
import vtk.vtkActor;
import vtk.vtkRenderer;
import vtk.vtkRenderWindow;
import vtk.vtkRenderWindowInteractor;

/**
 *
 * @author jmorra
 */
public class Application {

    static {
        System.loadLibrary("vtkCommonJava");
        System.loadLibrary("vtkFilteringJava");
        System.loadLibrary("vtkIOJava");
        System.loadLibrary("vtkImagingJava");
        System.loadLibrary("vtkGraphicsJava");
        System.loadLibrary("vtkRenderingJava.");
    }

         // create sphere geometry
        vtkSphereSource sphere = new vtkSphereSource();
    }
}

The program threw the following exception on the first System.loadLibrary
call

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
C:\Users\jmorra\Documents\vtk-binaries\bin\Release\vtkCommonJava.dll: Can't
find dependent libraries

I ran dependency walker on vtkCommonJava.dll and it didn't look like
anything was missing.   This leads me to assume the error is somewhere the
projects that failed to compile under VS 2008.

Please let me know what I'm doing wrong or if this is a VTK error.

Thanks,
Jon