[vtkusers] Latest SnowLeopard Java update is missing headers

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Oct 27 10:41:25 EDT 2010

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 00:48:49 -0600, David Gobbi said:

>For the Apple/Java users out there,
>
>Last week I noticed that VTK/Java wouldn't compile after an automatic
>update of my OS X 10.6 system.  It seems that the header files that
>should be in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Headers/ are
>not there anymore.  Luckily, they were still in the MacOSX10.6.sdk.
>
>I copied the files from here, and now the Java build works again:
>/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/
>JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Headers/
>
>At first I thought that it was just random chance and that only my own
>machine was effected, but the VTK dashboard seems to indicate that
>those header files were removed from all Macs that received that
>update.

David,

I noticed this on our dashboards, and was also going to follow up with
the list, but ya beat me to it!  :)  I haven't tried it yet, but it
seems there is a nicer solution that what you propose, which I found here:

<https://trac.macports.org/ticket/26934>

That is, install the "Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 3 Developer
Package." from here:
<https://connect.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MemberSite.woa/wa/
getSoftware?bundleID=20719>

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com