[vtkusers] Nubie OS X question.

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Oct 25 10:38:32 EDT 2010

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 07:01:31 -0400, Jim Peterson said:

>Barry wrote:
>> Hello All
>>
>> So I've been able to build and install vtk in 64 bit on OS X 10.6.4
>> using Cmake.
>>
>> I Git a copy of SimpleCocoaVTK, made some simple adjustments to get it
>> to compile in 64 bit for 10.6.
>Barry,
>I am not an OS X user, but the above statement attracts my attention. Be
>sure you built vtk with the VTK_USE_64BIT_IDS checked. I don't believe
>there should be any "minor adjustments" required to get a 64 bit
>executable on any platform. be sure you have examined the "Advanced"
>setting for cmake as advised in the readme files.

The SimpleCocoaVTK example doesn't actually use CMake because it's
purpose is to show how to use the VTK libs in an existing Xcode-based
Mac project.  The minor changes he's probably referring to are Xcode
project settings to make it build as 64 bit.

Turning VTK_USE_64BIT_IDS ON is not required to build VTK as 64 bit.
Though he may or may not want it on/off for other reasons.

>No disrespect intended, but I believe "Advanced" should actually read
>"Now check the detail options to make something that will actually
>work". In my opinion, many of the options initially hidden are very much
>required to be examined.

Agreed.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com