[vtkusers] vtkChartXY

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Mon Oct 18 15:21:20 EDT 2010

2010/10/18 Hagen Mölle <h.moelle at googlemail.com>:
>  Hi,
>
> I am playing around with vtkChartXY / vtkPlot API. I experienced the
> following two problems.
>
> 1. Adding plots to a chart works fine. But one have to use a vtkTable object
> as input for multiple number of vtkPlot objects. This requires to have plots
> with the same number of points. So my first problem is to display plots with
> different number of points. Is this possible?

You could use different tables - each plot can have columns that do
not necessarily belong to the same table. I could probably add some
further API to take other data types, the main limitation is that x
and y must have the same number of rows, but each vtkPlot can have a
different table and columns in that table. I should write an example
to demonstrate this approach.

> 2. Is there a way to rotate the label of the y-axis? Right now the label is
> horizontal. This causes the label not being displayed correctly. It reaches
> over the border of the chart.

Funny you should ask. I have just merged in a topic branch that
accomplishes this very goal for FreeType. It has been a longer running
piece of work to improve the FreeType rendering capabilities. If you
pull the latest VTK master you should see the changes after a rebuild.

Thanks,

Marcus