[vtkusers] Using vtkShepardMethod and vtkGaussianSplatter

Allan James ar.james at qut.edu.au
Sun Oct 17 20:43:17 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

Thought I'd try this again - has anyone got any suggestions please?

A couple of questions about vtkShepardMethod and vtkGaussianSplatter if anyone has any experience with these two...

1. I have been using vtkShepardMethod to interpolate a point set onto an image for texture mapping on a surface, with some success. When I set the MaximumDistance to something less than 1.0 (to prevent all input points influencing each interpolated point) I see that the search area around each point is actually a square, which shows up very clearly, almost making it useless in my case - see attached image. Does anyone know if there is a way around this or why it has been implemented this way? (I would expect a circular search area around each point)

I am instantiating shepard using:
_shepard = vtkSmartPointer<vtkShepardMethod>::New();
_shepard->SetInputConnection(flattenFilter->GetOutputPort());
_shepard->SetSampleDimensions(100, 100, 1);
_shepard->SetMaximumDistance(0.08);
_shepard->SetNullValue(NULL_DATA_VALUE);

2. I have tried replacing vtkShepardMethod with vtkGaussianSplatter - but the resulting image is blank. I have used similar settings and played with different values for Radius and ScaleFactor values without any luck. I was thinking I could just swap shepardmethod with gaussiansplatter... but I must be missing something.

_gaussSplatter = vtkSmartPointer<vtkGaussianSplatter>::New();
_gaussSplatter->SetInputConnection(flattenFilter->GetOutputPort());
_gaussSplatter->SetSampleDimensions(100, 100, 1);
_gaussSplatter->SetRadius(1.0);
_gaussSplatter->SetNullValue(NULL_DATA_VALUE);

Does anyone have any advice for replacing vtkShepardMethod with vtkGaussianSplatter?

thanks for any advice, cheers

Allan James
High Performance Computing & Research Support
Queensland University of Technology
(07) 3138 9264
ar.james at qut.edu.au<mailto:ar.james at qut.edu.au>
http://www.qut.edu.au/its/hpc