[vtkusers] How to get all visible Triangles?

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Mon Oct 11 09:38:27 EDT 2010

That basic idea seems to work for me. To try it quickly I did it in Python instead, and I just printed out the SelectionList from the vtkSelectionNode that's attached to the vtkSelection returned by the hardware selector instead of trying to use vtkExtractSelection. The "UserEvent" looks for the "u" key.

==================
import vtk
import vtk.util.numpy_support as VN

# Callback for when selection is changed
def selectionCallback(caller,eventId):
	hsel = vtk.vtkHardwareSelector()
	hsel.SetFieldAssociation(vtk.vtkDataObject.FIELD_ASSOCIATION_CELLS)
	hsel.SetRenderer(ren1)

	x,y = caller.GetRenderWindow().GetSize()

	# Create a small area around clicked point for selector area
	hsel.SetArea(0,0,x,y)
	res = hsel.Select()

	numNodes = res.GetNumberOfNodes()
	if (numNodes < 1):
		print "No visible cells"
	else:
		sel_node = res.GetNode(0)
		print 'Visible cell IDs: ', VN.vtk_to_numpy(sel_node.GetSelectionList()).tolist()

sphere = vtk.vtkSphereSource()
sphere.SetCenter( 0, 0, 0 )
sphere.SetRadius( 5.0 )

sphereMapper = vtk.vtkPolyDataMapper()
sphereMapper.SetInputConnection(sphere.GetOutputPort())

sphereActor = vtk.vtkActor()
sphereActor.SetMapper(sphereMapper)

ren1 = vtk.vtkRenderer()
ren1.AddActor(sphereActor)
ren1.SetBackground(0.1, 0.2, 0.4)
ren1.GetActiveCamera().ParallelProjectionOn()

renWin = vtk.vtkRenderWindow()
renWin.AddRenderer(ren1)
renWin.SetSize(300, 300)

iren = vtk.vtkRenderWindowInteractor()
iren.SetRenderWindow(renWin)
iren.AddObserver("UserEvent", selectionCallback)

style = vtk.vtkInteractorStyleTrackballCamera()
iren.SetInteractorStyle(style)
renWin.GetInteractor().SetInteractorStyle(style)

ren1.ResetCamera()
renWin.Render()

iren.Initialize()
iren.Start()

Note that the default ContentType for the SelectionNode is INDICES, so if you want to get pedigree ids, or something else, you'll have to convert the selection afterwards.

Hope this helps get you going in the right direction,
-Eric

Eric E Monson
Duke Visualization Technology Group