[vtkusers] installing 5.6.1 with qt 4.7.0 on windows7

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 08:53:40 EDT 2010

> I had a similar problem on Windows.I was using Release build of VTK libs
> with Debug version of my QT application.
> When I compile my application in Release mode everything was fine.
> Could this be a issue for you ?
> best regards,

To avoid this problem never build the INSTALL project on VTK, ITK,
gdcm when using visual studio if you plan on using release and debug.
Just do a build all on any of these libraries or open a visual studio
command prompt and cd to the build folder and type vcbuild /M8.
Replace 8 with the number of processor cores in your system. This is
faster than building from the GUI anyways because it avoids
intellisense and any other project processing.

Now after you have built your libraries to use ITK, VTK, gdcm ... and
when configuring your application when cmake-gui complains it can not
find them just set ITK_DIR, VTK_DIR ... to the root folder of where
you built the each and cmake will properly handle the debug and
release libraries so you will be able to use either (and even
relwithdebinfo or others) without the random crash caused by the
memory heaps being different in release versus debug..

John