[vtkusers] EXC_BAD_ACCESS While Running Application Compiled with VTK 5.6.0 on MacOS 10.6.3

Don Bigler dcb210 at psu.edu
Tue May 25 12:36:24 EDT 2010

All,
	I've encountered a segmentation fault while running an application compiled with VTK 5.6.0 on Mac OS 10.6.3 with XCode 3.2.2.  The non-default VTK build specifications were as follows (using CMake 2.8.1):
CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES x86_64
CMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.6
VTK_WRAP_TCL ON

The initial segmentation fault occurred doing a Release build.  Recompiling to Debug build and running the debugger in XCode, I get an EXC_BAD_ACCESS error message with the following trace (starting with VTK calls):
vtkTextActor::New() -> vtkTextActor::vtkTextActor()
vtkPolyData::New() -> vtkPolyData::vtkPolyData() (line 49 in vtkTextActor.cxx)
vtkDataObject::DATA_EXTENT_TYPE() (line 67 in vtkPolyData.cxx)
vtkInformationIntegerKey::vtkInformationIntegerKey()
vtkCommonInformationKeyManager::Register()
vtkCommonInformationKeyManagerKeys->push_back()
stl_vector.h (line 602):
if(this->_M_impl._M_finish != this->_M_impl._M_end_of_storage)

I'm typically good at tracking these sort of problems down myself.  However, it's not often that my trace ends up in stl_vector.h, usually it's my own error further up in the function calls.  Any of you experts out there have any idea why I'm getting an EXC_BAD_ACCESS message inside a std::vector?  I would not suspect a simple call to vtkTextActor::New() would cause this unless I'm missing something critical.
Thanks,
Don Bigler

Don Bigler, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Scholar
Center for Emerging Neurotechnology and Imaging
Penn State University College of Medicine
500 University Dr.
Psychiatry, C5604
Hershey, PA 17033
Phone: (717) 531-7963
Fax: (717) 531-6491

Hershey Confidentiality Statement:

This message (including any attachments) contains information intended for a specific individual(s) and purpose that may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure pursuant to applicable law.  Any inappropriate use, distribution or copying of the message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil penalty.  If you have received this transmission in error, please reply to the sender indicating this error and delete the transmission from your system immediately.