[vtkusers] Incorrect result of SelectEnclosedPoints?

Roman Grothausmann roman.grothausmann at helmholtz-berlin.de
Thu May 20 10:53:50 EDT 2010

Dear mailing list members,

We've tested vtkSelectEnclosedPoints with two intersecting spheres. The
mesh of one sphere got distorted some how but it is still a closed mesh.
We check that with vtkFeatureEdges and all edges are manigfold.
However some points that lie obviously inside are labelled outside (see
pics). With an undistorted sphere from paraview all is fine.
What could cause this problem?
Is vtkSelectEnclosedPoints inexact under some circumstances?
How can we know if incorrect results could also appear for windowed-sinc
smoothed discrete marching cubes meshes?

Any help or hints are very much appreciated
Roman

--
Roman Grothausmann

Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH
Bereich Funktionale Materialien
Institut für angewandte Materialforschung
Hahn-Meitner-Platz 1
D-14109 Berlin

Tel.: +49-(0)30-8062-2816
Fax.: +49-(0)30-8062-3059

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Joachim Treusch
Stellvertretende Vorsitzende: Dr. Beatrix Vierkorn-Rudolph
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Anke Rita Kaysser-Pyzalla, Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c.
Wolfgang Eberhardt, Dr. Ulrich Breuer
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
Handelsregister: AG Charlottenburg, 89 HRB 5583