[vtkusers] recommendation for vtk*MovieWriter in win32?

Elvis Chen elvis.chen at gmail.com
Fri May 14 12:46:33 EDT 2010

greetings,

As a larger part of a project I'm working on, I need to capture videos from
a webcam and record the video to a file.  I seek your
recommendation/comments about vtk*MovieWriter under win32 environment.

Using vtkAVIWriter, capturing at a resolution of 800x450 (wide SVGA), 1000
frames of video resulted in ~350MB of video file.  As the recording duration
for the intended application varies from 5-30 minutes, I would like to (in
terms of priority):

1) reduce the video size,
2) preserve video quality

Please comments on the following:

1) what vtk*MovieWriter should I use, and what codecs,
2) how to get these codes to work in Win32/vtk-5.6 environment.

any help is very much appreciated,

Elvis