[vtkusers] Converting a Structured Points File to an Unstructured Points/Grid File

Ted Kord teddy.kord at googlemail.com
Wed May 12 19:36:42 EDT 2010

On 13 May 2010 00:10, David Doria
<daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com<daviddoria%2Bvtk at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > Hi again
> > I thought this was working but it turns out not to be.
> > I've tried several ways to do this but no success. I would have thought
> that
> >  vtkStructuredPointsToUnstructuredGrid would work but for some reason, I
> > keep getting compilation errors whenever I try to instantiate this.
> > I'd appreciate if someone could show me how to accomplish this.
> > Thanks
> > Theodore
>
> vtkStructuredPointsToUnstructuredGrid is an abstract class, so you
> can't instantiate it. I don't see any derived classes, so it looks
> like this is just supposed to be for the user to subclass and write
> their own algorithm that takes a structuredpoints and produces an
> unstructuredgrid.
>
> I think this is what you want though:
>

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/StructuredPoints/StructuredPointsToUnstructuredGrid
>
> There is no reason this should be so hard/not built in...
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

Hi David

Thanks for this. I wrote some code along these lines earlier but when I
opened it in Paraview, I get,
"Cannot volume render since no point (or cell) data is available." So, I
assumed it was not correctly converted.

I also get the same result/error message with the code at the above link you
sent.

This is why I'm tearing my hair out. I'd be very grateful if a solution can
be found.

Theodore